Dear Kenneth,

thanks for the explanation!

Kenneth Hoste <kenneth.ho...@ugent.be> writes:

Dear Andres,

We've been keeping a close (automated) eye on which dependencies are used in recent common toolchains (foss* & intel*, since 2018a) in that
respect: we have a test that verifies that there's only a single
"variant" (version + versionsuffix) of a software package used as a runtime dependency (with some exceptions, e.g. Python 2.x & 3.x).

We're not doing this for build dependencies though, which is why there
are two versions of Bison used in easyconfigs that use a 2018b
toolchain.

Ah, okay, I didn't think about that distinction. And I understand that for build dependencies, one might want the extra freedom of not enforcing this policy.

For Bison, it's a bit silly, but we have seen situations where at some point a newer CMake was required than the one that was already being
used...

The main reason for the "one dep variant" policy is to avoid version
conflicts as much as possible between easyconfigs using the same
toolchain. We learned the hard way that you run into hard to fix
problems if you don't maintain a policy like this...

Any particular reason for your question?

No, not really. I just noticed that for one install (I'm updating Octave to 4.4.1), eb wants to build both Bison versions, which I found silly, so I got curious. But your explanation makes perfect sense.

Cheers,
 Andreas