hi Kenneth,

> (and this is not EasyBuild's fault btw)
+1 indeed!

> Why are you taking this road exactly, what's the added benefit compared to installing directly into /sw

It's fair to mention non-technical reasons too. I somehow like the idea of building software in containers since I was sysop on HPC system with Lustre FS. There the containerization was the easiest way to build kernel modules with/without OFED and with any kernel for any OS. (we had mix of centos, rhel, v6+v7). Since then I consider building in containers as convenient and safe approach and I was not thinking too much how to do it with Easybuild..

technical reasons:

* reproducibility - On some systems there are devel RPMs just on login nodes, and on computes there are just the binary packages. Some software (X, VNC..) can be completely missing. It can lead to surprising results. (especially with not-so-well-tested, site-specific easyconfigs) Containerization also completely removes the possible human-factor when someone somewhere installs some nice RPM from $reasons.. Container has own recipe which is in git, so tracking of the build env is trivial.

* independent build and deployment actions - yes, I could take one node and keep it drained in slurm till I'll check the build is fine.. One node is not too much, but let's do the things correctly.. Containerized build also mean that I can submit a job with the build task, and next day/week/month I have software tree ready somewhere in my $scratch and there is no need to take care about draining and later undraining the nodes.. (again, human factor elimination).

btw. could you, please, share your workflow too? I'm quite curious, especially as I understood you do it in more simple way.

cheers

Josef

Josef Dvoracek
fzu.cz/~jose