On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<juanjose.garciarip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a bit lost with the mingw64 toolchain, with so may different tarballs
> and options. I must admit I have never managed to get it up and running.
> What do I have to do to use it?

Indeed, there are probably too many options around.  Here is what I use:

   * Install traditional msys toolchains, conveniently packaged by the
      mingw-w64 people; one download, one click as explained here:

         http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mingw-w64/wiki/MSYS

      Note: When you unzip the package into a directory c:/foo, you get
      the msys.bat in the directory c:/foo/msys/bin.  One directory deeper
      than what the wiki says.  You can afterward arrange to have
      the structure c:/msys/bin (which I have) or leave it like that.
      Do not attempt to unpack directly into c:  -- Windows won't let you
      do that anyway.  The rest of the wiki is good.

   * GCC from TDM

            http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/

      I chose the configuration that generates 64-bit binaries by default.
      It conveniently packages several things that are needed for development.
      Choose a directory of installation, for example c:/mingw64

Once you have installed GCC-TDM, you are good to go.
If you are build your own packages and you want the compiler
to automatically find its headers (e.g. for gmp.h or gc.h),
use the option --prefix=c:/mingw64.  The compiler considers
c:/mingw64/include as a standard include path.  If you use your own
directory you will have to specify it every time to the
package which wants it.  /usr/local (which
would reside under the msys directory, unless you make a
special arrangement) is not considered a standard path.

Before building ECL from trunk, I installed:
   -- GMP 5.0.5 in c:/mingw64
   -- Boehm-Wieser GC from CVS trunk
       (the one that comes with ECL will refuse to build)
        also in c:/mingw64

Please don't forget to specify --build=x86_64-w64-mingw32
as configure option if you install the compiler that generates
64-bit by default.

> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis
> <g...@integrable-solutions.net> wrote:
>>
>> * fresh check out of CVS trunk
>> * configure option:  --build=x86_64-w64-mingw64
>

> Is this really enough? Or do I have to also change the value of CC?

that should be enough.  That is all I had to do.  See my
development configuration as detailed above.

-- Gaby