>Hi,
>
>I'm a relatively new subscriber to the list, so I must
>admit I'm not exactly sure what is supposed to be
>discussed. I WAS, however, hoping for something more
>along the lines of what Shawn suggested, i.e. taking
>feminism as a given, i.e., the oppression of women and
>the degradation of the environment as a given. I am NOT
>interested in hearing from a man about how oppressed
>he has been. I can and do hear that elsewhere.
>
>What I cannot easily find elsewhere, and perhaps cannot
>find here either, is a good discussion about the situation
>of women and the environment from people who are thoughtful,
>listen, and care. I do NOT think that Al's comments recent
>retorts are at all helpful to this end. It is not a case of
>whether "continual hostility will help the feminist cause"
>but of whether there is a forum in which we, as ecofeminist
>women, can put forward our views without having the "Rush
>Limbaugh philosophy" shoved down our throats. Now I care
>that some men have been discriminated against, just like
>I care about many many issues from overpopulations of prisons
>and animal shelters to starvation and famine in Africa to
>drug use and pregnancy among teenagers. In a sense, all of
>the issues are related. But I believe that each person must
>focus on the areas that he/she can best contribute to, and
>for me, that is women and the environment. So I don't really
>want to hear, from this list, about how hard it is for men
>to deal with the hostility of women.
>
>So tell me, should I unsubscribe?
>
>Sincerely,
>
>--Gwen Loosmore, student
No way don't unsubscribe. If anyone should unsub it should be the sexist
men that lurk on this list. But some of the men are not sexist. Al has
not shown anything but patriarchal attitudes so i think he should shut up.
Gwen, i hope you will not be put off. these men are everywhere!
Respectfully,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Interesting: Your people glorified organised violence for 40 centuries,
but you imprison those who employ it privately."
Mr Spock. Star Trek 'Dagger of the Mind'