Mary, Claudia, Jeff, Jackie, Kylie, Joy, Anne, Leanne:

        Thank you all for the feedback on my "cyberthroats" question.  
        Maybe the Internet is a doorway to a new level of human 
        understanding.  Using this brutally direct medium, without the 
        facial expressions and body language of face to face conversation, 
        maybe we can learn to understand each other better, do you think?

        It has bothered me in meetings, etc., how often people SEEM to be 
        understanding each other but really don't.  At the next meeting 
        it's like starting all over, because the members never really got 
        to the underlying worldviews driving their opinions.

        Civility is good for getting along.  But is it a barrier to better 
        understanding?  (Or maybe it's best we don't really understand each 
        other, because then we'll just write each other off?)

        I wonder if we'd be better off with no self-esteem, so we wouldn't 
        even _have_ hot buttons.  You know, "I'm a jerk, You're a jerk."  
        If we could say things bluntly, (even generalities, which can help 
        understand things), without hurting each other's feelings because 
        no one _takes_ it personally.  And then respond bluntly how the 
        generalizer is off his/her rocker.
  
        Scientists do this all the time.  But they have the advantage of 
        irrefutable evidence to prove or disprove a position (reproducible 
        results).  Social issues don't seem to have the same foundation, 
        unless everyone agrees on some kind of basic code.  Then, of 
        course, part of that code might be to avoid personal attacks.  It's 
        all so circular and confusing.

        All I know is, with nuclear weapons and global environmental crises 
        at hand, "We must love each other, or we must die."  
        (Lyndon B. Johnson, 1964)

        Can that be a starting point?  "So-and-so, you're a jerk, but I 
        still love you."  If so, then we desparately need the help of 
        women, because very few men I know can openly express brotherly 
        love to other men.

        This is why I'm interested in ECOFEM.  Our male dominated society 
        can't seem to stop killing each other and raping the land.  How can 
        men like me learn to be more generous and less aggressive?  Carol 
        mentioned something about a "community" that developed on another 
        list.  Is there a trick to it?

        The tolerance issue is, in my opinion, a very important issue.  We 
        desperately need to stop telling each other how to live.  But then, 
        how much tolerance can we have and still protect the environment?  
        In this era of regulation "streamlining," I grapple with that one 
        daily!

        Oh, and the "putting a price on life" issue... look out folks, 
        the risk assessment/cost benefit legislation under consideration in 
        Congress would lead right to that.  Regulators would be faced with 
        determining how many deaths can be tolerated to avoid X billions of 
        dollars in pollution control.  In fact, someone once told me they 
        saw some nuclear waste regulations that put a $200,000 figure on 
        human life.  I, for one, don't want any part of that kind 
        regulating.  But can we avoid it, and who's gonna make the call?
                                                                        aVr

Reply via email to