Mark Peterson wrote:
>>[If I've understood this] the logic of domination is a phrased
coined by Karen Warren to describe the relations along
male/female//society/nature analogy. It isn't just the domination of
females by males and nature by society that offers a sound analysis,
but recognizing the implicit logic underlying the tendency to
dominate. Domination is tough enough, but the logic of that
domination is the motive force.<<
Thanks for mentioning Karen Warren's work; do you have some citations
you could share with us?
>From your remark above, I agree that domination is tough enough. I
still wonder, though, whether using the term "logic" is appropriate.
It suggests that there's a completely rational formula for the
domination (in all its complexity). If that's the case, then
shouldn't a "counter" formula (in =logical= points) be avaialable? I
wonder if the problem here is more to do with our =assumptions= about
human decisions and actions being "rational" and "logical." One of
the important contributions of feminisms (especially regarding the
environment) is that the Cartesian split between emotion and reason
(and the numerous other dualisms) is (more than a little)
problematic. Can you expand =your= definition of "logic"? Thanks!
Comments, ideas, critiques from ALL ECOFEM-ers are welcome!!
Stefanie S. Rixecker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed Feb 15 17:21:16 MST 1995
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 01:25:24 +0100
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Adelaide Chichorro Ferreira)
Subject: environmental educaton
Susan Michel wrote:
"are the children presented with other perspectives
(besides the biocentric one) in these classrooms?"
I would ask if children are presented with the biocentric one at all.
And Constance Russel said:
"I do believe nature experience is important but I also think such
experience needs to be problematized."
I agree with you. As I implied in one previous mail, I think the stories
people (mostly women) tell children about animals or where animals are
involved are very often (not always) non violent (well if you only consider
physical violence, anyway). But in Portugal we have a very popular song for
children (probably the first one most children learn) that goes like this:
"atirei o pau ao gato
mas o gato nao morreu
Dona Chica admirou-se
com o berro que o gato deu
Miau!"
Translation:
"I threw the stick to hit the cat
but the cat did't die
Dona Chica was very surprised
about cat's yelling
Miau !!!!"
(Translator question: do cats "yell"?)
Do you also have that?
Adelaide Chichorro Ferreira