From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news on behalf of =
Michael Sears
Sent: Wed 3/8/2006 7:00 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: "Hamerstrom science" (deliberate non-use of statistical =
analysis)

If you can design an elegant experiment that only requires a t-test for =
its
analysis, that is admirable. But the simple truth of the matter, in my
experience, is that many folks don't take the time to design a good =
experiment,
often collect data with disregard to any theory, and simply collect what =
is easy
or is the data that everyone else collects, hoping in the end that =
somehow
through mathemagic, they can make something out of their efforts. To =
paraphrase
Burnham and Anderson, 90% of our time should be spent thinking and only =
10%
doing. I'd suggest folks be aware of theory and design experiments with =
regard
to it, such that the design and analysis are set BEFORE the data are =
collected.
Often, but not always, if that is done, an overly complex analysis may =
not be
necessary...but some complicated hypotheses do require complex analyses. =
This is
the nature of good science.

Mike Sears
Assistant Professor
Department of Zoology
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, IL 62901

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: http://equinox.unr.edu/homepage/msears

Quoting stan moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Folks --
>
> In view of recent discussions of modeling and the correct choice and =
use of

> them, the correct analysis of assumptions, etc., I am reminded of a
> contrarian method of science related to Frederick and Fran Hamerstrom, =
two

> graduate students of Aldo Leopold, now deceased.  Frederick and Fran =
were
> expert ecologists, but of the "old school" in that they practiced a =
form of

> science that is in danger of extinction.
>
> The September, 1992 issue of the Journal of Raptor Research (Vol. 26, =
No. 3)

> was dedicated to the work of the Hamerstroms and edited by two former
> "gabboons" of theirs, Drs. Josef Scmutz and Keith Bildstein. An =
interesting

> letter was published in that issue of JRR, written by Dr. Schmutz, =
entitled

> "Hamerstrom Science From a Gabboon's Point of View", pp. 206-210.
>
> Here is a quote from that paper:  "To think that only those who employ
> up-to-date statistical procedure carry out "good science" is flawed.  =
The
> difficulties encountered in the study of complex natural events are so
> enormous that even approaches which are considered to be =
state-of-the-art by

> peers are often insufficient.  S.H. Hurlbert concluded that of 176
> experimental studies published between 1960 and 1983, 27% were =
designed
> inappropriately...  Perhaps, the message from the Hamerstroms is not =
to use

> the term "chain" when the strength is equivalent to that provided by a
> "string".  Much of what is considered "good science" is done not =
because the

> method warrants it or because a paradigm dictates it, but because it =
is
> consideredc the approach of choice by peers within one's "invisible
> college". "
>
> A couple of years ago, Dr. Steve Herman in an invited paper to the =
Wildlife

This mail sent through https://webmail.unr.edu