Wayne,

This is the paper that the program was referring to: Keppler et al. 2006
Methane emissions from terrestrial plants under aerobic conditions.
Nature 439, 187-191.

I don't think there was any direct evidence of CO2 influencing the rate
of methane production, but the methane efflux showed a strong
temperature relationship, so the show may have been discussing the
indirect impact of rising CO2. The study used gamma-irradiated leaves to
minimize the potential of methane-producing bacteria causing the signal,
but I don't think that methanotrophic bacteria were considered.

Cheers,
Danielle Way
University of Toronto

Wayne Tyson wrote:
According to an English-language TV program originating in Germany,
researchers at the Max Planck Institute have demonstrated that plants
emit methane into the atmosphere. The report implied that more
research is needed to determine whether or not this "greenhouse gas"
is increasing because of increased levels of atmospheric CO2.

First, does anyone know whether or not my interpretation is correct,
in error, or incomplete?

Second, I noted that there was no mention of the influence of
methanotrophic bacteria, leaving the impression, with me at least,
that methanotrophic activitiy was not part of their calculations. Is
anyone familiar enough with this research to clarify this? Did the
TV producers simply leave this aspect of the research out of the
report or do the researchers consider it irrelevant or insignificant?

WT