Robert et al;

The comments below pertain only to scholarly publication and NOT
classroom/student plagiarism:

How does one distinguish between plagiarism and contemporaneous
development of similar ideas?

Leibniz and Newton both developed calculus during the same period and
recent evidence suggests that Archimedes developed the idea a few
hundred years previously.  Who gets credit and who is
"plagiarizing"?  Similarly, Alfred Wallace sent a manuscript to
Darwin containing virtually the  identical concept of Chuck's natural
selection.  What if he had sent the manuscript for publication,
would Darwin have a case for plagiarism even though the two had never
met?

How do we know that so called plagiarists are not simply
independently arriving at the same concept?

David Bryant
Ipswich, MA