I have always been somewhat frightened by the zero-tolerance policy of
academic institutions toward plagiarism.  This is, in part, because I
feel it would be very easy to accidentally commit plagiarism by simply
forgetting to insert a citation.  In my view, there are at least five
types of plagiarism, and all require different responses.

1.  Cheating.  Entire papers or large sections are copied and presented
as original work.  This is most likely to occur in a university context
and should deserve a harsh response.

2.  Malicious plagiarism.  Citations are intentionally omitted in order
to make others' work appear to be original.  This can occur in
professional journals and in schools and deserves punishment, although
unfortunately it can be difficult to separate this from the next category.

3.  Negligent plagiarism.  Citations are omitted with no intention of
plagiarizing.  This can occur simply by accident (some spelling errors
slip into journals) or can be more subtle.  Scientists are constantly
reading journal articles, and our thought processes are inevitably
influenced by our reading, perhaps in ways that we don't always
recognize.  It is therefore entirely possible to write a non-original
idea while personally believing that the idea is yours.  This type of
plagiarism should be minimized, but in my opinion should not be punished
unless it occurs often enough to demonstrate sloppy practices.

4.  Word-choice plagiarism.  Writers who are new to English or new to
scientific writing styles are tempted to copy sentences word-for-word
from articles, changing minor details to make the meaning correct.
While this is clearly plagiarism by definition, it is not a stealing of
concepts, ideas, or results per se, and it may represent a positive step
toward learning the mechanics of scientific writing.

5.  Misattribution.  I personally know several students who find it
easier to write first and cite later.  Inevitably, this leads to some
ideas attributed to the wrong authors and a few omitted citations.  This
is certainly sloppy behavior, but not outright malicious and so in my
opinion not deserving of a harsh punishment unless it continues after
several warnings.

Zero-tolerance makes sense for actions which are always intentional
(i.e. a minor cannot accidentally consume alcohol), but not for
plagiarism, which may result from accidental omission or an incomplete
knowledge of citation procedures.  School is about teaching the best
practices and minimizing mistakes, not about punishing those who make
mistakes.  Unless large-scale cheating has occurred or plagiarism has
occurred numerous times, I feel that failure or expulsion as a
consequence of plagiarism is not justified.

Mark Luterra
Carleton College
Northfield, MN