This is another very important issue.  I have reviewers tell me that I
could not cite papers because they were not peer reviewed.  So, to
properly attribute the ideas and the data, I am supposed to give the
citation in the text, but giving the full citation in text every time I
cite something is a huge waste of space (not to mention breaking up
thoughts and sentences).  So much of my information is from non-peer
reviewed sources (park reports, conference proceedings).  In fact, I
usually need to cite the same grey literature sources repeatedly.

I asked my adviser about what I should do about this.  He had the same
frustrations with this policy.  As a way around it, he suggested
publishing first in a journal without this policy and citing my paper in
later publications.  The problem with this is that I still cannot give
credit where credit is due.  Those reading my later papers will assume
all citations of my earlier paper are referring to my own work and ideas.

I think some journals have changed their policies, possibly recognizing
the importance of recognizing data and ideas from non-peer reviewed
sources.  About five years ago Conservation Biology insisted on peer
reviewed only.  Looking at their literature cited sections now, I can
see that policy has changed.

CL

Jonathan Greenberg wrote:
> William Silvert's story inspired me to ask a modified question on this topic
> -- some journals require that citations ONLY include peer-reviewed articles.
> I have heard horror stories (not me, fortunately) about researchers who have
> presented preliminary results at conferences, only to have these results
> appear (uncited) in an article by a person who attended this conference, who
> was simply faster getting the manuscript out the door.  These ideas make me
> (early in my career) nervous when I present the more exciting, newer science
> I'm doing at conferences.  Do journals that require only peer reviewed
> literature to appear in the article bibliographies need to rethink this
> approach?  Personally, I think its ridiculous to restrict what an author
> feels is citable material, and I think that new authors need to be honest
> about where they heard ideas if they aren't their own -- conference
> proceedings, even the talks themselves, need to be cited.
>
> --j

Cara Lin Bridgman

P.O. Box 013          Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
Longjing Sinjhuang
Taichung 434
Taiwan                http://web.thu.edu.tw/caralinb/www/