I agree that paraphrasing requires one to understand the material one
references, as well as express it more concisely ( in the interests of space
).

However, sometimes I have come across papers where the authors misinterpreted
the original results or ideas, and thereby this misinterpretation was carried
forward in their paraphrasing. This could be dangerous, especially if someone
else were to quote the misinterpretation.

Well this is a completely different issue, but about education in the Orient, I
don't know if its mostly memorizing. My undergraduate institute heavily
focussed on understanding basic principles and applying them. But again perhaps
thats a basic difference between engineering and biology.

Thanks for your views.
amartya