Hello all--
=20
A lot of people were interested in the results of the informal textbook =
survey, so here they are. I posted the question "What textbooks are =
people using to teach general or introductory ecology?" to the ESA =
Education listserv ([EMAIL PROTECTED] <blocked::mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ) =
and ECOLOG before the winter holidays. I'm posting the results to both =
lists.
=20
Some people mentioned several textbooks, either all used together =
currently or including both current and recently used texts. I counted =
all books mentioned. Several people mentioned supplementing textbooks =
with primary literature in general and/or specific ESA publications =
(Frontiers and "History of Ecology" articles from the ESA Bulletin).=20
=20
Here is the frequency of use for each textbook mentioned:
=20
26 Molles (Ecology: Concepts and Applications)
7 Townsend, Begon, and Harper (Essentials of Ecology)
6 Ricklefs (Economy of Nature)
4 Smith & Smith (Elements of Ecology)
3 Smith & Smith (Ecology and Field Biology)
1 Smith and Smith (no title)
3 Ricklefs & Miller (Ecology)
3 Krebs (Ecology: The Experimental Analysis of Distribution and =
Abundance)
3 Peter Stiling (Ecology: Theory and Applications)
1 Gotelli (Primer of Ecology)
1 Eric Pianka (Evolutionary Ecology)
1 Gould & Gould (BioStats Basics)
1 Rose and Mueller (Evolution and Ecology of the Organism)
1 Odum (Fundamentals of Ecology (Spanish))
1 R Margaleff (Ecolog=EDa)
1 Campbell (ecology chapters of Biology) plus primary lit and Frontiers
1 Gurevitch, Scheiner, and Fox (Ecology of Plants)
1 books specific to regions of Indonesia (Ecology of Java, Ecology of =
Sumatra, Sulawesi)
1 none (students examine the approaches taken by several different =
textbooks covering same concepts)

=20
Although I didn't ask for reviews, I received quiet a few. I'll share =
the overall impressions for the two textbooks I got the most comments =
on, but please keep in mind that only a subset of responses included =
comments.
=20
More than a third of people who answered are using Molles. Several =
people commented that they find that it's student-friendly. Several =
people also commented that it oversimplifies some material. Two people =
mentioned that they supplement it with other materials for this reason.
=20
It was commented that Townsend, Begon, and Harper is a more complex =
treatment of concepts (vs Molles). Two people suggested that it might be =
more appropriate for a two-semester introductory course or an =
upper-level course rather than a single semester introduction to =
ecology.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my question!
=20
Jennifer
<blocked::http://wps.aw.com/wps/media/access/Pearson_Default/1663/1703422=
/login.html> =20