-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of William Silvert
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:10 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Peer Review: was International Journal of Creation Research (IJCR).

I think this is a case of scientists falling into a pit they dug themselves.

Since I was a physicist before turning to ecology I am always puzzled by the

mystique that peer review seems to have acquired. Not all physics papers are

peer reviewed, and I know at least one paper that wasn't which earned its
author a Nobel prize. I have seen little evidence that peer review is any
better than having a good editor. Some really awful papers show up in peer
reviewed journals. The idea that because a paper has passed peer review it
is good science just doesn't go down well with me.

Peer review is most useful for research that requires careful attention to
standard protocols. A reviewer of a paper in a field like microbiology
should be able to certify that samples were properly sterilised, that the
staining was done correctly, and so on. But consider the paper which first
reported the existence of abyssal communities based on chemosynthesis,
certainly one of the most important ecological discoveries of the past
century -- what could a "peer" reviewer possibly have to say about that?

Bill Silvert