Warren,

This discussion is interesting, because it is so "Western European".  We
forget that it is not just science versus christian perspectives out
there. There are approximately 2 billion christians out there, but this
lumps Southern Baptists with Roman Catholics, and they sure have little
in common with respect to their core beliefs. Islam is the second
largest (and growing) single religion (with around 1.3 billion), but by
the civil war in Iraq, we see that they are not quite unified either.
There are so many religious superstitions that it is clear that they
cannot all be right, and if they are not all right, then who is to say
which, if any is right?  I am reminded of a quote:

    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer
    god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other
    -Stephen Roberts

You stated that science will never explain everything.  I would reply
that which science cannot explain, nothing can explain. There indeed are
things that are inexplicable today.  It is not an explanation to say
"god did it."  The christian "intelligent design" concept is just that,
christian, not a general alternative to a scientific perspective.  There
are many superstitious perspectives out there that are not scientific,
and perhaps some that are. Should we give them all equal credibility?
Should we demand rights for an unbiased education for all of them?

No.  We should demand that children are taught to think critically in
school, and the scientific method is the most effective way of
understanding nature invented as of yet.  Thus, the scientific method
should be taught in schools, and all the many superstitions should have
no place in school - after all, to be fair, we should have either none,
or all! Science is not a religion, it is a method of knowing, and so to
teach scientific thinking is not analogous to teaching religion.

Cheers,

Jim

--
James J. Roper, Ph.D. <http://jjroper.googlepages.com/home>
Universidade Federal do Paraná
Depto. de Zoologia
Caixa Postal 19020
81531-990 Curitiba, Paraná, Brasil
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone/Fone/Teléfono: 55 41 33611764
celular: 55 41 99870543
Revista Brasileira de Ornitologia
<http://www.ararajuba.org.br/sbo/ararajuba/revbrasorn.htm>
Zoologia na UFPR <http://zoo.bio.ufpr.br/zoologia/>
Ecologia e Conservação na UFPR <http://www.bio.ufpr.br/ecologia/>
Currículo Lattes <http://lattes.cnpq.br/2553295738925812>
E-mail:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Phone/Fone/Teléfono: 55 41 33611764
Alternativa: 55 41 33857249
celular: 55 41 99870543
Ecologia e Conservação na UFPR <http://www.bio.ufpr.br/ecologia/>