Interesting subject line as rail lines to provide habitat for some
wildlife.  In fact, there is some evidence that Cnemidophoris (now
Aspidocoelus) use these xeric corridors allowing them to expand into areas
they normally do not occur.

Just crossed my mind!

On Tue, August 7, 2007 4:14 am, William Silvert wrote:
> There are some great trains in Europe, but if you are not travelling
> between
> major cities you may not be so happy with them. To go from Lisbon to Paris
> by train involves a rough 2nd class overnight from Lisbon to Irun,
> followed
> by a fantastic TGV from Hendaye to Paris. A recent trip from Den Helder in
> the Netherlands to De Pinte in Belgium was long, slow, crowded and very
> uncomfortable. I like trains and used to tour Europe on a EurailPass
> regularly, but even with better infrastructure it ain't that great.
>
> And unfortunately it is expensive. I dodn't know the current fare from
> Madrid to Seville, but the last time I flew non-stop from Barcelona to
> Seville the round trip ticket prices started at 36 euros, around $45
> (although I opted for a $60 ticket on a later flight). A recent direct
> flight from Faro to Palma de Mallorca ran around $100. Air fares can be
> very
> low compared to train fare.
>
> Bill Silvert

Malcolm L. McCallum
Assistant Professor of Biology
Editor Herpetological Conservationa and Biology
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]