Hello all -
As part of a long-term forest dynamics plot, we are tagging individual trees
and tree ferns (Cibotium spp.) in Hawaiian forests.  I'm wondering if anyone
with experience tagging tree ferns can tell me 1) if you've had any problems
with nails coming loose or being pushed out, or 2) if there is any evidence
that puncturing the hard inner core damages the individual.
Many thanks for any help,
Lisa

Lisa M Ellsworth
Hawaii Permanent Plot Network Supervisor
Institute of Pacific Islands Forestry
University of Hawaii
60 Nowelo Street
Hilo, HI  96720
Phone: (808) 933-8121 ext. 156

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most
amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds."
Edward Abbey (1927 - 1989)