Dear Jacquelyn and Forum:

(While Jacquelyn's email did stimulate these comments, they are not
intended as a critique of her--they are about the phenomena, not the person.)

The questioning of elders is a time-honored and essential,
indispensable ingredient in the advancement of knowledge, the careful
consideration of the thoughts of those who have spent almost a
lifetime doing just that is likewise an important part of the mix of
intellectual exploration of which "science" and any "discipline" are
parts.  It is sad in a sense, but also a bit ironic, that those at
the beginning of their careers in ecology, should feel cheated when
the continuing in the footsteps of their elders, mistakes and all,
seems threatened.  Ecologists, among, thankfully, a fairly large
minority of the world's population, are beginning to see their
predictions validated--and they don't like it.  It appears to be a
distinct possibility that major changes in human behavior will be
forced upon, not only the innocent future generations, but upon the
present generation just beginning to hold the earth's destiny in its hands.

It seems unfair that, just as greater and greater efficiencies in
energy use are within their grasp, that the consequences of past
generations' profligacy are increasingly borne by the emerging
generations.  It is a frightening prospect to see Malthusian hunches
about the consequences of population increases seeming to pale into
comparative insignificance before harder and harder data about the
spinoff effects like Anthropogenic Global Warming, Water Scarcity,
and Peak Oil, for example,

http://www.peakoil.nl/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/oilwatch_monthly_may_2007.pdf

being poised to levy some unstoppable "Armageddon" upon the world
just as its finest heroes are rising to the occasion.  E. O. Wilson
is a prophet with honor, but his prophesies may not be having
sufficient effect upon the masses--nay, upon his own colleagues.  It
is as if Nero were sounding the alarm while the citizens of Rome were
fiddling as it burned.

But perhaps Wilson is hypocritical, having jetted his way to
countless meetings in the past, while he now counsels
restraint.  Perhaps he regrets having "used up" too much energy so
fast that now his followers must conserve?  Perhaps we are lucky that
he did jet around as much as he did, and perhaps we will be luckier
still because some emerging scientist will put him in the shade, and
the tradeoff of the jetting around for hisher accomplishments will be
so great that future generations will be grateful?  Could be.  It
also could be that some are more concerned with career advancement
than "The Mission" (though why they chose ecology rather than, say,
economics, is puzzling).

There were times when scientists wrote letters on scraps of paper to
each other, sent by sailing ship and horseback across continents and
oceans.  If we are unlucky (or lucky?), those times, or something
akin to them, will come again--by choice or, most likely, as the
oscillations from planting that first seed 12,000 years ago come home
to roost (aka "Chaos Theory," "Tipping Point" and
"Blowback?").  There were times when lifetimes were spent before
well-deserved honors were recognized by one's peers--and times when
peers denied and ignored solid accomplishments of prophetic
scientists.  Yea, there were times when derision by peers, disrespect
by the powerful, and ignorance by one's citizenry were so extreme
that burning at the stake was a real, not merely virtual, risk.  In
those times, even great accomplishments did not provide a Ph.D., even
after a lifetime of devotion.  Why does the song, "Abraham, Martin,
and John" come to mind?  Where are our emerging Charley Darwins, Al
Wallaces, Ros Franklins, Barb McClintocks, and Al Wegeners?  Oh, how
I would like to have a beer with y'all . . . but if we can't, I'll
settle for an email, even a code-cracking formula scratched on a stone.

WT