-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Malcolm McCallum
Sent: Thursday, 09 August, 2007 16:34
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: Field-worthy SUV

Doesn't it strike anyone kind of strange that this discussion about which
SUV to choose popped up right amidst a discussion about wastefulness?  I
suggest that 90% of us using 4-wheel drive SUVs for research really don't
need them.  How often do you actually need to put it in 4-wheel???

Just stoking the fire here!

On Thu, August 9, 2007 3:33 pm, Mike Marsh wrote:
> Robert, if you don't mind something old, find (with difficulty nowadays)
> a pre1985 Toyota land cruiser, also known in Australia as a "troopie".
> these are instantly recognizeable by the completely box-like cabin, and
> the long-wheelbase model was designed to carry a  squad of 8 soldiers in
> the rear sitting sidewise on two parallel benches, with a bench seat in
> front. The chassis and suspension is mor reminiscent of a locomotive
> than a truck completely solid. There is a manual, low-hi range
> transmission. You have to get out to lock or unlock the front hubs for 4
> wheel drive. A diesel model will chug down the road at 55 mph forever,
> cross rivers, tow less bush-worthy vehicles, etc.
> We went to Australia in 2001 to cross the continent with local friends
> from Sydney to the Kimberleys. We bought a used long wheelbase 1984
> troopie, had oil leaks in the front hubs fixed, and set out on a 3 week
> expedition. We covered 10,000 kilometers, perhaps 1/3 of it on unsealed
> (unpaved) roads of various degrees of roughness, had no breakdowns (well
> ,the clutch was slipping the last 600 km), one flat tire, and came away
> loving our vehicle, which we sold to a friend. You must not need to go
> fast, as the fuel economy drops. With 2 fuel tanks you have 400+ mile
> range.
> Mike Marsh
>> Re: field-worthy SUV
>> From:
>> William Silvert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Date:
>> Tue, 7 Aug 2007 18:16:59 +0100
>>

>> I'm no expert on this, but colleagues who have worked in Africa swear
>> by the Toyota pickups. They run circles around Land Rovers and the like.
>>
>> Bill Silvert
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Long" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Malcolm L. McCallum
Assistant Professor of Biology
Editor Herpetological Conservationa and Biology
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]