Yes, their are field projects in which they are necessary, however, saying
most is completely not true.  In fact, if your car is not leaving the road
then no you don't need 4 wheel.  Many field projects do not require 4
wheel.  Thus far, I have been involved in about a dozen field research
projects such as inventories and status surveys that did not require 4
wheel drive.  In fact, four wheel would have been useless since all travel
off of the roads had to be done on foot because the national parks would
not allow driving off of the roads!  In other cases the terrain made
driving off road virtually impossible.  In these cases, good hiking boots
were far more useful than 4 wheel drive.

Having said this, many years ago I did an inventory for the US Army and 4
wheel was very useful and frankly needed.

MLM