M.S. Graduate Research Assistantship in Forestry Available January 2008

=20

I am seeking a M.S. student to begin studies in Spring or Fall Semester
2008.  This project will involve summarizing and modeling the past and
future growth and yield of a long-term, disturbance-based silvicultural
study located in central Maine.  Although much of the data has been
already acquired, there will be opportunities for 1-2 months of data
collection in Summer 2008 or 2009 at the field site in Maine.  This
project allows for the unique opportunity to develop silvicultural
knowledge in two systems-the hardwood forests of Indiana and the
mixed-conifer forests of Maine, and build collaborative relationships
both at Purdue University and the University of Maine.

=20

Coursework in forestry/silviculture is required; expertise in modeling
design and theory, biometrics and statistics are desirable.  Candidates
with familiarity with the U.S. Forest Service's growth and yield model,
Forest Vegetation Simulator, will be given preference.  Candidates
should have a GPA of at least 3.0, and score higher than the 50th
percentile on both the Verbal and Quantitative components and higher
than 4.0 on the Analytical Writing component of the GRE.

=20

This position has guaranteed support for 2 years, with extension as
needed to complete an ambitious program.  Graduate stipends currently
are $16,676 per year and include tuition waivers.  Competitive stipends
at higher amounts may be available.  I prefer that interested candidates
contact me by email ([EMAIL PROTECTED]), although you may contact me
by phone (765-494-2155).=20

=20

Purdue University is an Equal Access/Equal Opportunity /Affirmative
Action Employer. Women and individuals in under represented groups are
encouraged to apply.

=20

Mike R. Saunders
Assistant Professor of Hardwood Silviculture

Department of Forestry and Natural Resources
221C Pfendler Hall
715 West State Street
Purdue University
West Lafayette IN 47907-2061