I'd like to introduce a somewhat broader perspective on the political
struggle for conservation. The success of conservation programs depends on
resources and other forms of support, and this in turn requires that there
are people who see benefits. Although some of us are satisfied to know that
species are thriving, there are many more who want something more concrete.
Hunters and fishermen are among them. So are ecotourists - and we need to
keep in mind that ecotourism also has environmental costs in terms of
habitat degradation, changing the behaviour of animals, in some cases
interfering with their reproduction. No one has yet mentioned the use of
animals for medical experimentation, but some, including many primates, have
commercial value and this motivates both conservation in the wild and
domesticated breeding programs (rhesus monkeys make up a large medical
resource I am told).

Although I find hunting for sport distasteful, and would much rather watch
whales from the deck of a research vessel than from a whale-watching Zodiac,
I think we have to be pragmatic about how to promote conservation, This
means accepting the support of groups which are willing to do the right
thing for what we consider the wrong reason. It is painful to be driving
past a beautiful salt marsh and come to a sign crediting it to Ducks
Unlimited, but there are a lot more duck hunters out there than conservation
ecologists.

To put the moral issue in perspective, we know that sometimes it is
necessary to cull deer populations that are no longer subject to natural
predation. Should we do this by selling hunting licenses and using the funds
for conservation activities, or should we use what little money we have to
pay game wardens to do the job?

Bill Silvert