Having taught biology (and ecology) at traditional high schools and
also at a residential gifted and talented high school, I'm astonished
by Malcolm's questioning the teaching of ecology at that level. It's
an entirely appropriate time to introduce ALL students to the basics
of ecology, and junior high would be even better.

The problem with most high school biology courses these days is they
are based primarily on a pre-med approach to the subject matter.
Teachers are pretty good at getting across things like cell biology,
Punnett squares, and photosynthesis, but ecology (and evolution and
botany and zoology, etc.) are often in chapters at the back of the
text that are never reached before the course ends.

Although it's important for high school graduates to understand the
basics of cytology, genetics, and biochemistry, it's far more
critical for them to know about the big picture than to memorize
minutiae that can be looked up in a hurry on Google. An ecology
course is the ideal place to learn how the world works and how human
beings impact daily on natural processes.

Indeed, high school students DO need to improve their math and
writing skills, but they also are required to take a certain number
of elective courses. Why not have one of those choices be ecology?

I know from experience that most high school students get far more
excited about a field trip to study the local marsh than they do
about memorizing the Krebs Cycle. The corollary is that we can turn
kids on to science a lot faster and with longer-lasting impact with a
well-designed ecology course.

Perhaps it would be even better if ALL high school students took a
required course in ecology BEFORE they cover some of the topics that
make up typical introductory high school biology courses.

Best wishes,

BILL

=========

--

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org