Gary,
Here's my recommendation.

Film:  The Plow that Broke the Plain.  1936.  One of the first
documentary films; short, about 25 minutes.  Made during the height
of the Dust Bowl; had government sponsorship; critically acclaimed;
award-winnng score by composer Virgil Thomson.  Focuses on the
ecological disaster caused by overplowing in the Great Plains.  It is
available for online viewing I believe:
http://www.archive.org/details/PlowThatBrokethePlains1  I'm not sure
where to find part 2 (which covers the last two minutes).

Book:
<http://www.amazon.com/Worst-Hard-Time-Survived-American/dp/061834697X/ref=sr_1_2/105-5548262-3521228?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190823800&sr=1-2>The

Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great
American Dust Bowl by Timothy Egan   A good combination of the
ecological and human consequences of plowing up the prairie.  The
making of the film, and reactions to it are discussed in the book.

Liane Cochran-Stafira

At 08:16 AM 9/26/2007, Dr. Gary Grossman wrote:
>Dear Colleagues,
>At some point in my career I'd like to teach a moderately, large non-majors
>oriented course, delineating basic concepts in ecology and resource
>management, via film, art and literature.  One idea would be to have the
>film, etc. illustrate the point which could then be reinforced via a book
>chapter or edited journal article so that they would be understandable by
>non-majors.  Does anyone teach a course like this?  If you do, would you
>mind sharing your materials?  If you don't but have ideas about specific
>films, short stories, paintings, sculptures, etc. please let me know and
>please also tell us why you would chose that work (i.e. what concept it
>illustrates).  I have a pretty good background in the visual arts, so help
>with literature and film would be appreciated.  As an example of what I'm
>looking for, I would use the film Dersu Uzala by Kurasawa to illustrate the
>role of humans relationship to nature. Thanks for your help. g2
>
>--
>Gary D. Grossman
>
>Distinguished Research Professor - Animal Ecology
>Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources
>University of Georgia
>Athens, GA, USA 30602
>
>http://www.arches.uga.edu/~grossman
>
>Board of Editors - Animal Biodiversity and Conservation
>Editorial Board - Freshwater Biology
>Editorial Board - Ecology Freshwater Fish

***************************
D. Liane Cochran-Stafira, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Biological Sciences