One of my useful mottos is "The roughest guess THAT GETS THE JOB
DONE."  That's a heavy condition, but sometime rough guesses can be
helpful.  They can "do" until the data "savior" or "perfection" comes along.

I don't do original research on the anthropogenic influences on
climate either, but I remain skeptical about "credible" sources.  I
need to know more about most "credible" sources.  But the
precautionary principle leads me to the conclusion that, regardless
of the background fluctuations of climate, it makes sense for a lot
of reasons to cut back on carbon and other emissions, particularly
the low-priority and wasteful ones, e.g., the lighting of advertising
signs . . .

WT