Joseph and all other Honorable askers of simultaneously and
ironically leading and essential questions:

Among the many consequences of Peak Oil and the petering out of the
cheap stuff, only oil barons and sheiks and The Authorities will be
able to afford to poke holes in the ozone layer (has OL been
forgotten too?), with gold-toileted luxury jets, and we, the serfs,
our unhallowed constitutions hollowed out, will be pulling carts down
the remnants of "freeways," trying to evade "Mad Max" and his
cronies--ad nauseam, but likely not ad infinitum.  Ultimately, the
system will fluctuate less and less, until a dynamic equilibrium is
reached that, if it includes Homo s. at all, it will be a minor
species.  Ultimately, the baronial class, having reached a
consumption peak through focus on psychotic (considered "normal" by
enough people to be negated) demands rather than needs, will be
reduced or eliminated, as there will be no more basis for excess, the
consumers upon which it depended to consume its resources to enable
its mega-luxury-consumption, having been reduced to a depauperate
state, or at best, subsistence--if they are lucky!  As Guy McPherson
(and Rose Tyson) have said, Nature bats
last!
http://blog.ltc.arizona.edu/naturebatslast/2007/08/the_end_of_civilization_and_th.html

But then, none of us should be too sure of ourselves.  I have been
wrong in my attempts to interpret my puny observations in terms of
the future before, and far, far better people than I have been unable
to do so with a simpler system like global climate.  So, it's a gut
feeling, not an equation.  But if we wait for the Savior Equation to
come to science, will the pseudo-system of anthropocentrism run out
of consumables before that Day of Salvation?

WT

"Nature has shrugged off countless species in the history of the
earth, and she will shrug off Homo sapiens with no more concern than
any of the rest.  And the sooner she does so, the sooner the earth
can get back to normal."  --Louis B. Ziegler