Many years back David Ehrenfeld wrote a great book (The Arrogance of
Humanism) that amounted to a critique of some Enlightenment assumptions that
he thought many scientists subscribed to with religious-like faith. Among
them were:

All problems humans confront are solvable by them.

Most can be solved with technology.

If they cannot be solved by technology they can be solved by changes in
social organization.

If we get it wrong (e.g. Biosphere) we just didn't know enough & we'll get
it right next time.

In tough times we will hunker down & do what we need to do to make it
through.

Some resources are infinite; finite resources have substitutes.

Our civilization will survive.

He suggested that the observation of history lent itself to a different set
of principles, i.e. ones that better fit the "data":

The world is too complex for humans to fully model or even understand,
especially living systems.

Techno-social solutions never completely solve problems; we only generate
quasi solutions or patches.

The quasi-solutions implemented generate new problems at a faster rate than
can be solved; these new problems are usually more complex, costly to
address, require that more systemic inertia be overcome, etc.

Resources do run out.

Social systems and entire civilizations do tank when the patches fail and
problems become overwhelming.

Ehrenfeld did not regard himself as a pessimist-just someone who noted that
societies have always risen and fallen and that it's foolish to think we are
different. He also noted that given the size of our foorprint and how much
natural capital we have drawn down, some options are no longer available.

  _____