Dear Ecolog-Listerv,

I am looking for non-government organizations to sign-on to a letter =
regarding support for Ocean Acidification Research and Monitoring Act =
(S. 1581). We are asking for co-sponsors (in the Senate) to the bill, =
which 1) establishes an interagency committee on ocean acidification; 2) =
establishes an interagency strategic research plan; and 3) establishes a =
comprehensive research and monitoring program within the National =
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which includes grants for =
critical research projects that explore the effects of ocean =
acidification (text of letter below).

As you know, ocean acidification not only threatens our marine =
ecosystems but also has significant potential social and economic =
consequences for the United States and other nations.

The deadline for organization sign-on is Monday Nov. 5, 5:00 PM.

I will need the following information for your organization's sign-on:

1) name; 2) title (Legislative Director or Oceans Advocate is fine); 3) =
organization.

Initial organizations signed-on include: Marine Conservation Biology =
Institute, Greenpeace, Natural Resources Defense Council, Marine Fish =
Conservation Network, The Interfaith Council for the Protection of =
Animals and Nature, EarthEcho International, Environmental Defense, =
Climate Institute, and the Gulf Restoration Network.

I hope you can join this effort and support this legislation.

Cheers,

Steven

Steven Lutz, Ocean Policy Analyst
Marine Conservation Biology Institute
600 Pennsylvania Ave, SE, Suite 210
Washington DC 20003  USA
1 202 546 5346 (office)
1 202 546 5348 (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.mcbi.org

Protecting Ocean Life Through Science and Conservation Advocacy=20

******
=20
ORGANIZATIONS SUPPORTING LETTERS ON TOP

November XX, 2007

Dear Senator,

   Increasing carbon dioxide in the world=92s atmosphere is taking its =
toll on the oceans by increasing the acidity of sea water, which in turn =
threatens the stability of the marine food chain.  Senators Lautenberg =
and Cantwell have introduced the Federal Ocean Acidification Research =
and Monitoring Act of 2007 (S. 1581) to address the impacts of ocean =
acidification.  On behalf of our organizations and members, we request =
that you consider co-sponsoring S. 1581, which would establish a =
comprehensive federal research plan and program for ocean acidification. =
=20

   Ocean acidification is the result of excess carbon dioxide from the =
burning of fossil fuels being absorbed by the ocean.  Once carbon =
dioxide is absorbed, it reacts with seawater to form carbonic acid, =
which increases water acidity and decreases the amount of carbonate =
available to sea life.  Ocean acidity has increased 30% since the =
beginning of the industrial revolution and is projected to grow to 150% =
by the end of this century, according to scientists.

   Increased acidity and reduced availability of carbonate makes growth =
difficult for marine organisms such as corals, plankton, clams, and =
lobsters that require carbonate for shell and skeleton formation.  =
Because a number of fish species and marine mammals depend on these =
organisms for food and shelter, the potential effects of ocean =
acidification throughout marine food webs are alarming.  Ocean =
acidification not only threatens our marine ecosystems but also has =
significant potential social and economic consequences for the United =
States.  Recreational and commercial fishing, and coastal communities =
that generate billions of dollars annually from coral reef tourism stand =
to be negatively impacted.  =20

    Research on the processes and consequences of ocean acidification is =
still in its infancy and many questions about the effect of changing =
ocean chemistry on marine life remain unanswered.  S. 1581 establishes =
an interagency committee and strategic research plan designed to improve =
our understanding of the environmental and economic impacts of increased =
ocean acidification.  The research plan will identify priority research =
areas such as impacts on commercially and recreationally important =
species and vulnerable eco-systems.  Studying these priority areas will =
guide research on adaptation strategies and techniques to effectively =
manage marine ecosystems threatened by acidification.  The bill will =
also establish a comprehensive research and monitoring program within =
the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which includes =
grants for critical research projects that explore the effects of ocean =
acidification.

   We are profoundly alarmed about the threats that ocean acidification =
poses to the United States and other nations, and recognize the need for =
immediate attention to this far-reaching environmental problem.  We =
appreciate your support for ocean conservation and respectively request =
your co-sponsorship to the Federal Ocean Acidification Research and =
Monitoring Act of 2007.

Sincerely yours,

Name, Title, Organization

******