Jim,

  I must in turn respectfully disagree that "introduced species are bad, no
ifs, ands or buts."  Here in Vermont, our lilacs and our red clover are both
non-native (if you want to look at 1492 as the 'cut-off' for determining
"native-ness").  The red clover is our state flower, and the lilac is a
perennial favorite.  They became naturalized...red clover is a preferred food
for deer in our area.  I think "bad" is a value-laden term, and a very relative
one at that.  If an exotic is negatively impacting something we value, then the
creature or plant or algae is "bad, no ifs, ands or buts."  If it naturalizes
or something eats it or it has an obvious ecological benefit, then it is viewed
with neutrality tempered with skepticism.

  Too many ecological terms are become over-used and hence meaningless, or at
least vague.  "Invasive" should pertain to a particular species' behavior, not
neccessarily its origins.  After all, how far back does one go to determine
place of origin?  If you go back far enough, humans aren't even indigenous to
North America; "we" came over across the Bering Strait, if you go by the fossil
record.  Since so many creatures are classified based on behavior, "invasive"
should indicate a set of behaviors that are exhibited by a species -- and it
usually does.  Yet this also begs some questions: to some extent, every plant
exudes allelopathic compounds into the surrounding soil to protect itself from
pathogens and from encroaching neighbors.  So how much "invasive" behavior is
simply good strategic defense or adaptive behavior?  How about poison ivy?
Some states list it on their lists of invasive plants, yet it is considered
"native" to North America.

  There is a species of Daphnia in Lake Constance (between Germany and
Switzerland) that has adapted over the past thirty years or so to actually eat
toxic cyanobacteria.
(http://www.cnn.com/NATURE/9910/01/pollution.eaters.enn/index.html)  Who is to
say that ecosystems can't adapt to a noxious invader or that all non-natives
must be eradiacted in order for an ecosystem to be "healthy"?

  In addition (and in closing, so as not to bore everyone to tears!), why are
"invasions" seen as bad and never as part of the evolutionary process?  Rather
than make the plant or animal the "bad guy", why not recognize that species
hitch-hike-- it is what they do, it is how they travel, and it is how the
planet has operated for millenia.  When land bridges arose, animals and plants
moved in vast quantities and at great speed.  Landscapes changed forever.  The
fossil pollen record proves that.  I realize that human activity is responsible
for lots of introductions, but they don't all end in disaster.  First, there is
the Rule of Tens: 10% of introduced species can survive in their new habitat;
10% percent OF THOSE actually escape and survive outside of cultivation; 10% OF
THOSE become "invasive."  Second, the Panama Canal was one example of a sudden,
major introduction of two riverine habitats -- "all of the original species
found in each stream in a 1916 survey are still
 there."  (http://usinfo.state.gov/gi/Archive/2004/Aug/23-973558.html)

  Anyway, it's some food for thought.  To paraphrase Willy Wonka, a little
paradigm shift now and then is treasured by the wisest men.

  Cheers,
  Kelly Stettner