As a matter of choice, my wife and I have 3 children and each of those have
2 children.  So we exceed our replacement rate.  Maybe our only hope for
justifying this level of procreation is the hope that somehow we are
introducing "heritable inclinations that will promote sustainability and
protection for the environment," as Lonnie Aarssen hopes for but concludes
as being beyond the process of evolution.

One of my sons is in charge of fire protection on a major National Forest.
His daughter is pursuing a PhD in forest fire ecology.  His son is a
straight-A college senior planning to enter medicine with a goal of helping
bring healing to the world's poorest countries.

My daughter is a Human Resources Manager for the regional office of a major
grocery firm.  Her son is currently with Teach for America in an inner city
school in Texas, working with challenged children.  Her daughter is a
straight-A senior in college, interning with the county District Attorney's
office as support for abused children and women -- she plans to go into
criminal law and politics.

My youngest son currently directs a university's business education,
engineering and industry partnership.  This alliance promotes the making of
real things that improve people's lives, with consideration for
sustainability and economic justice.  His 2 children are young, but his son
is doing very well in a bi-lingual kindergarten program.

I know this can be construed as showing nothing more than selfish pride.
However, I hope some see at least a glimmer of hope that we can produce
children that will improve the future world.  It may be partly due to
genetics, partly due to cultural evolution, and partly due to good luck.
But for now, my only hope is that we who are the current decision makers
provide them with a future in which their skills and compassion will
prevail -- that we do not produce a future world in which only basic
survival skills and physical competitiveness will prevail. In other words,
maybe we humans can  strive to create a future in which new rules of
evolution apply -- one in which altruism is propagated and selfish
competition for resources is snuffed out.

Warren W. Aney
Senior Wildlife Ecologist
Tigard, Oregon