As an organization of professional and academic ecologists, we need to
emphasize that ecology and economics are closely intertwined disciplines.
This interrelationship, as best demonstrated in steady state economics, is
neither new nor is it a concept limited to a small group of ecologists.

(1) The idea of a steady state economy has been around a long time and comes
from classical economics.  John Stuart Mill's "Principles of Political
Economy" (1848) discusses the idea of a "stationary state."  This book was a
principle economics text in England until the early 1900s.

(2) Today, steady state economics is being promulgated by many economists of
stature.  Professor Herman Daly (University of Maryland) and Professor
Joshua Farley (University of Vermont) made adopting steady-state economics
the theme of their 2004 book "Ecological Economics" (Island Press).

So for the ESA, this is more than just a small group supporting a one-man
campaign. It is both a long-standing and a compellingly current imperative
that is strongly ecology-based and economically rational.  We need to
reassure organizations that have failed to adopt a clear and strong
steady-state policy  -- The Wildlife Society, for example -- that this is a
widely recognized and credibly supported position.  And we need to make sure
that ESA takes the lead on this and does not fall in behind those who have
chosen to produce unclear and weak statements.

Warren W. Aney
Senior Wildlife Ecologist
Tigard, Oregon