I have been bothered for a long time by the commodification of not only university degrees, but the entire educational system itself. This country's obsession with "free market" ideology may ultimately be its downfall. The problems with our system start at the earliest levels of learning and extends all the way up to college. Expecting schools to behave like businesses and shut them down because they don't "produce" a good product at a low enough price is a recipe for disaster. Having an educated and skilled population is a long-term investment that doesn't seem to coincide with the current mentality of immediate gratification (both socially and economically). Other countries that see this are invariably going to outperform us over time. I am constantly amused by the stories of charter schools failing or the scandals regarding unaccredited teachers, grade inflation, etc. The fact that we lack national education standards in itself is a disgrace. In addition, the attitude that teaching is not a respectable job makes it unattractive, driving away some of the most talented individuals. The thing that continues to bother me is that the presidents of many universities are business leaders or political figures; hardly the kinds of people who know about education? Furthermore, the very people who are supposed to do the teaching at the college level, i.e., faculty, are rarely formally trained in education. Most of us pick it up on the fly through TA experience--but rarely is there teacher development. In many departments (at least in the sciences) teaching is not a priority. Again, perhaps this market-based concern with productivity has blinded us to the larger problem, that we are simply not training students very well any more? In order to attain tenure, faculty have to spend so much time working on grants and papers to show their value as producers that they must let something else slide in the interest of keeping their hard-earned jobs. Our university system right not is still among the best, but is also populated by talented foreign students (who may then leave...although right now they seem to stick around). Perhaps I am biased, as the child of a high school teacher and now myself a grad student planning on a career in academia. But I am also pessimistic by nature. Unfortunately I'm afraid the problem will only get worse, probably starting with a drop in foreign-student enrollment in US universities, and then perhaps even a loss of our own academic professionals as they are lured away by the growing quality of foreign schools. Amid the current economic downturn (when domestic spending is invariably cut), and if the situation remains like this for a while, this may come sooner than we think.

gloomily,
Chris