Personally, I don't think I'd bother submitting papers to anything that isn't
referenced in the mainstream academic databases. Do others agree, or am I the
only "shallow" one on the ecolog list? :-)
Lauren

> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:42:48 -0500
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Open access versus traditional publication models
> To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
>
> Dear Ecologers,
>
> I'd like to probe the forum on people's opinion of the publication models
> available to scientists today.  I (and probably most of us) have seen a
> massive rise in the number of open access publications over just the last
> 2-3 years.  And yet this seems to be happening alongside an explosion in the
> number of traditional-style publications as well.  What does this all mean
> for us ecologists trying to get our studies read by as many people as
> possible and by those that can take your information and make a difference
> with it – either through further research or policy?
>
> I'll be honest that I'm leery of many of the new open access journals.  I do
> see value in them, especially for those who are at underfunded research
> centers that don't have access to many of the mainstream publications.  On
> the other hand, what are they?  Do they ultimately reach as many people? And
> do they reach the "right" people – the ones that control aspects of policy
> or have top-tier research programs.  Are these new journals to be indexed in
> Web of Science or the other academic search engines?  So many questions
> surround this new format and I just wonder what the rest of the community
> thinks.
>
> Andrew
> --
> Andrew L. Rypel
> Box 870206
> Department of Biological Sciences
> University of Alabama
> Tuscaloosa, AL 35487
> Office: (205)348-4439
> Mobile: (205)886-9916
> http://bama.ua.edu/~rypel001

Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes.
http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/ZuneADay/?locale=en-US&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Mobile_Zune_V3