I like Howie's nudging the discussion into the area of physiological
ecology.  When I addressed issues of pollination biology is was partly to
suggest that they couldn't tell the whole story.
        Mark Winterstein's conribution about the habitat diversity is
valuable because it lets us southerners know that specialization on various
habitats may be important driver of speciation.  However, then we must ask
why alder and birch species don't map onto the same range of habitats.  And
just to bring pollination dynamics back in, efficient long-range dispersal
of pollen and seed would tend to work against speciation by promoting high
levels of gene flow.
       I also like Howie's description of how habitat-dependent conditions
for photosynthetic efficiency could lead to weak wood.  I don't know if it
is true for arctic willow, but I have heard that for some more southerly
willows having weak twigs is in fact a means of asexual reproduction; twigs
break off readily and are carried by water till they lodge on a bank or
sandbar and start growing.
      In an earlier post in the thread, Scott Chamberlain suggested that
willow is diverse in the Arctic because it underwent an adaptive radiation
there. I suppose he meant as opposed to having achieved species richness in
more southerly conditions and THEN invading the Arctic; otherwise his
comment still raises the question, "Yeah, but WHY?"  Did giant tree ferns
form the swamp-forests of the Carboniferous because they were uniquely
equipped physiologically to do so, or did they do it because they happened
to be there and no arborescent gymnosperms or dicots were waiting around to
show them how it should really be done?  How do historical considerations
like that tie in with other explanations of adaptive radiations.  Will we
ever be able to even name all the relevant factors, let alone tell which
were actually most important in the process?
            Martin Meiss