I think an Obama administration can give us a lot to hope for on the one hand -- Obama has spoken about restoring an emphasis on science in education, and he clearly wants to be informed by science. He's expressed serious concern about addressing global climate change. I've heard him using some of the rhetoric consistent with Tom Friedman' book, /Hot, Flat and Crowded/, emphasizing investment in renewable energy sources and green building, also for wise economic reasons. Obama's sensitive to the views in other countries, and just as leaders pressed on President Bush to recognize climate change as real and human caused, Obama will be under pressure from world leaders as well (and hopefully more receptive). On the other hand, his administration is going to be strapped by unimaginable inherited constraints. So what will be realistic? I think only time will tell. But I am ... well, hopeful.
Teresa

Teresa M. Woods, M.S.
Coordinator
Olathe Educational Partnership

K-State Olathe Innovation Campus, Inc.
18001 West 106th Street, Suite 160
Olathe, KS  66061-2861

Office:  Olathe Northwest High School
21300 College Blvd., Rm. 1833
Olathe, KS  66061
Tel: 913-780-7150
Mobile: 913-269-8512

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian?= wrote:
What do you think this means in terms of funding, job opportunities,
environmental education, research and policy, etc.?  What major changes (if
any) do you think might occur over the next few years that will affect our
personal and professional lives as ecologists? Should we be excited?
Kind of a vague and open-ended question, I realize, but I'm curious to hear
your thoughts.