This is a really interesting issue and one that Ben Cohen of Ben & Jerry's
has been actively involved in. I saw him as keynote at the Society of
Environmental Journalists conference in VT a couple years back. He stacked
up big plastic Oreos to show the amount we spent on military versus
healthcare, education etc and military was many many oreos higher (each Oreo
representing $1 or 10bil - can't remember). He basically showed how we could
eliminate global poverty if we just took the amount being spent on caching
certain weapons that we will never use because they're old and outdated. As
I recall, he apparently met with several actual military advisors to come up
with a real plan. I think applying some of this $ to education is so
extremely essential right now!! I just testified at the TX State Board of
Edu hearings - where they're definitely trying to dumb down our kids! (7
creationists on a 15-member board of a huge state - very scary).

Here's a page Ben Cohen has: American Priority Pie:
http://www.benjerry.com/americanpie/

He's involved in the National Priorities project called
http://nationalpriorities.org/

I blogged a little about Cohen's work and the concept of spending
http://bohemianadventures.blogspot.com/2008/10/poverty-blog-action-day.html

     Wendee Holtcamp, M.S. Wildlife Ecology
    Freelance Writer * Photographer * Bohemian
          http://www.wendeeholtcamp.com
     http://bohemianadventures.blogspot.com
~~6-wk Online Writing Courses Starts Jan 3 & Feb 21, 2009~~
                  Makes a great HOLIDAY GIFT!!
'Better to light a candle than curse the darkness'