From:    William Silvert <cien...@silvert.org>
Subject: Re: Overpopulation, was: Economic Growth

I would define the global economy in terms of both
parisitism and symbiosis. Colonialism is clearly parasitic, but when we pay a fair price for imports the relationship is symbiotic. The relationships between urban dwellers and their providers is symbiotic. To speak of virulent
parasitism is misleading.

One interesting characteristic of human societies is that
they can generate value without contributing resources. Our purchase of oil from Saudi Arabia is an exchange of money for a physical resource, but our payments to call centres in the Phillipines or financial centres in Hong Kong are exchanges of money for human-generated value. This is not common among other organisms, but it occurs.For example, the birds that eat ticks off the hides of pachyderms are in a sense parasites, but they provide a
welcome service.

I think that this is an interesting discussion and should
continue (I assume that human ecology is a suitable topic for this list), but perhaps it is time to stop trying to fit human societies into strict categories and time to focus on what is actually going on. We can all agree that without food imports there would not be enough food in the Darfur region to feed all the people, so why waste time arguing whether the region is "overpopulated"? Ms. Weis' second paragraph is quite correct, so why can't we address that without calling people "parasites"?

Bill Silvert

--
Larry Baker, Ph.D. Water Resources Center
173 McNeal Hall

Coming soon (edited book): The Water Environment of Cities, see http://www.springer.com/environment/environmental+-management/book/978-0-387-84890-7