That's not totally true, because there are so many definitions of
evolution. Microevolution and natural selection are a fact. The theory of
evolution by means of natural selection (ie common ancestry/the tree of
life/macroevolution) is a theory

You're right that students are not being taught it though. Many high school
teachers shy away from teaching it altogether (even with state testing, they
give take home tests, don't lecture on it, etc). They hedge it with
statements made to eliminate controversy. And it's no wonder, even my
college professor colleagues got called "Spawn of the devil" by irate
parents (though I am, after all, in Texas).

I agree with what someone said that this stuff should be taught from a young
age. Not just evolution but critical thinking, the nature of science and how
science is foundational to our culture and world. One editor at Sci Am mag
once said, "Science used to be foundational. Now it's a side. So I'm on a
side, I'm pro-science." It's truly sad that the country's understanding of
science is so pi$$-poor that people fight against the very thing that is a
bedrock of modern society.

Off my soapbox... :) Peace out!
Wendee
     Wendee Holtcamp, M.S. Wildlife Ecology
    Freelance Writer * Photographer * Bohemian
          http://www.wendeeholtcamp.com
     http://bohemianadventures.blogspot.com
~~6-wk Online Writing Course Starts Feb 21, 2009~~
'Better to light a candle than curse the darkness'