From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ecolo...@listserv.umd.edu]on Behalf Of Maiken Winter
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 23:43
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: [ECOLOG-L] Thank you for responding to the survey!

I owe you all a short explanation - I developed the survey I posted
yesterday
(http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=S2Q7Cyxa8xmJSiRNn_2b8Opw_3d_3d)
not for a scientific study but to get a quick overview over the thoughts
of scientists about their role in climate action. I plan to use the
results to write a commentary ona blog, the Clean Energy Project
(www.cleanenergy-project.de). Obviously, the survey is not perfect at all;
but it does give interesting results so far.

As it turns out, the responses are so many, the debate so intense, the
answers so contradictory, that I do want to improve this survey and repeat
it professionally to be able to have a more scientific debate on an issue
that is - in my opinion - of major importance.

Basically, I believe it is high time what we seriously rethink and debate
our role as scientists in society, and about the prioritization of our
work. Is it true that scientists have no more responsibility to act than
any other citizen - as some people commented? But isn't it also true that
we are privileged to be educated and wealthy enough to have the means and
freedom to think through the scientific evidence, and to understand what
that evidence truly means?

If we, as scientists, feel that we understand science better than other
people, isn't it our uttermost responsibility to pass on this knowledge
and understanding on to others? Not only to other scientists, but also to
the public and politicians as well. "Science is not politics, and
scientists should stay away from politics", one scientist commented.  But
relying on politicians and media to interpret our data got us in the
trouble we are in today.

I hope this survey stimulates further discussion (but please more
friendly; I love debate, but only when it is based on mutual respect) and
helps us to step a bit further out of our science glasshouse to take
responsibility for what we all work for - a deeper understanding of nature
so that future generations can admire and witness what we discover. Many
of those discoveries will be useless if we do not act quickly on climate
change together.

Please do know that I am well aware of the danger to lose credibility when
getting active in public affairs, and that I absolutely do not pretend to
know the solution of how to best balance both sides. But I do believe that
at the moment we are not courageous enough to try out how to best stand on
that rope, and that our priorities at the moment are often too selfish and
short-sighted, myself included.

Thank you to all those who have participated in the survey so far! And
thanks for those who will.

Maiken Winter