JS and Ecolog:

Yes, but that's not the question.

For example, from the AAAS website:

"The content you requested requires a AAAS member subscription to this site or Science Pay per Article purchase. To find out what content you currently have access to - view your access rights. If you would like to recommend that your institution subscribe to this content, please visit our Recommend a Subscription page."

One can buy 24 hour access rights to a single "paper" for $15 ("cheaper" than most, but it has no connection to the actual cost of providing the service--it is no doubt justified by "recovering" the costs of publication). Or join AAAS and every other organization (some suck as much as $40 or more from individuals, not to mention the major fees required of institutions) that holds rights to a paper one MIGHT be interested in. It adds up to an onerous financial burden either way. Such policies effectively exclude any riff-raff who might have a serious interest in a simple or complex subject, and cross-fertilizers must be millionaires and willing to spend it. Such heathen are conscribed to their local library--if they have one, putting them at an enormous disadvantage to the "connected" and the "in."

It's competitive exclusion. My tax money supported the research, and I (and I suggest that I and Dr. Voltolini and anyone else should have free access to it, largely because it costs AAAS and the government no additional cost to supply a download). If the law about copyrights to government-supported publications has been outflanked by AAAS and others, it's time for a presidential and/or legislative or court of law rethink, something on the order of tax havens. Aside from the government angle, as a matter of tradition and, considering that we have been transmogrified (apparently while asleep) into a corporate feudal state, the "serfs" of the world should rise up (or are they?) and see if they can coax a little noblesse oblige out of the keepers of the intellectual gold. Scholarly publication, it seems, has become more and more like a guild and less and less about the advancement of knowledge for the benefit of humankind.

WT

PS: Here, copied from their website, is a sample of how the Library of the University of California sees the issue of scholarly journals:

The Facts:

How the Crisis in Scholarly Communication Affects You
High costs are a barrier to access
Egregious and rising prices of scholarly journals place a barrier between faculty work and their potential readers, putting research and teaching at risk. In the Berkeley library, we have done our best to continue to provide access to materials for our scholars but if economic and publishing trends continue at the same pace, the Library may be required to cancel journals and reduce the number of books purchased. Researchers, in turn, may find it harder and harder to locate materials.

a.. The cost of scholarly publications is (and has been) rising at rates that are several times higher than inflation. b.. Significant price increases in journals every year decrease the purchasing power of libraries overall. Serials with high inflation rates negatively impact the overall acquisition of monographs and other serials.
 a.. Monograph and Serials Expenditures (PDF)
Data from the Association for Research Libraries show that from 1986 to 2005:
   a.. The average cost of serials rose 167%.
   b.. The average cost of a monograph rose 81%.
   c.. The consumer price index for this time period rose 78%.
   d.. Bottom line: prices are going up, and libraries can't keep up.

b.. Sticker Shock: to put subscription costs in perspective, consider that a one year subscription to some journals can cost as much as the price of a car (from the UCSF Library).
 a.. The number of new journals published every year is increasing.
 b.. Journal inflation rates impact all disciplines:

       LC Classification Average
       cost/title
       2002 Average
       cost/title
       2006 Percentage
       increase
       2002-2006
       Anthropology $300 $416 39%
       Chemistry $2432 $3254 34%
       Engineering $1305 $1756 35%
       History $132 $201 52%
       Philosophy and Religion $156 $226 45%

See the annual Library Journal Periodical Price Survey for an analysis of journal prices. c.. There is a direct correlation between mergers and acquisitions among publishers and rises in serial prices.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jane Shevtsov" <jane....@gmail.com>