There are many definitions for "sustainability" with some canted towards the
user's interests.  Most imply that we can keep doing a lot of things that
are really not sustainable over the long term, e.g., eternally producing
tilled crops on the eroding soils that are characteristic of almost all of
our farmland.

Even the 1987 Brundtland definition (the most widely used definition) is so
general that it has serious limitations and insufficiencies: “Meeting
present needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet
their needs” can be interpreted as including an unstated assumption that
future generations' technology will be able to make up for our generation's
diminishment of irreplaceable resources.  To me, this is, as Wayne says,
unsustainable sustainability.

So I tried to write a definition that addresses these weaknesses:

"To maintain forever the current productivity of renewable resource systems
including soils, waters, forests, wildlands and the atmosphere; and to
deplete nonrenewable resources only at the rate that cost-equivalent
substitutes can be developed, with costs measured on economic, social and
ecological scales."

This is part of the sample of sustainability definitions that I've collected
over the last few years (pasted below). I would be interested in hearing of
other definitions, particularly any that are substantially different or
better from an ecological perspective.

Warren W. Aney
Senior Wildlife Ecologist
Tigard, Oregon

*******

Sustainability – some definitions

“Meeting present needs without compromising the ability of future
generations to meet their needs.”  1987 Brundtland Report, Our Common
Future.

“The ability to provide for the needs of the world's current population
without damaging the ability of future generations to provide for
themselves.”

“When a process is sustainable, it can be carried out over and over without
negative environmental effects or impossibly high costs to anyone involved.”

“Maintaining your consumption without eroding your capital.”  Johannesburg
Summit Secretary-General Nitin Desai.

“Ecological conservation and equitable resource distribution.”

“Free market capitalism plus technology will let us keep consuming without
limits.”

“Stabilizing resource exploitation while allowing the less privileged an
equitable share of our earth's bounty without compromising its livability.”

“Providing the best outcomes for the human and natural environments both now
and into the indefinite future.”

“Bearing in mind the effects of our actions on our descendants for seven
generations.”  Iroquois Confederacy

Hargroves & Smith 2005:
·       Deal cautiously with risk, uncertainty and irreversibility.
·       Ensure appropriate valuation, appreciation and restoration of nature.
·       Integrate environmental, social and economic goals in policies and
activities.
·       Provide equal opportunity and community participation/Sustainable
community.
·       Conserve biodiversity and ecological integrity.
·       Ensure inter-generational equity.
·       Recognize the global dimension.
·       Commit to best practice.
·       Allow no net loss of human capital or natural capital.
·       Abide by the principle of continuous improvement.
·       Meet the need for good governance.

“Achieving human and ecosystem well-being together.”

“In a sustainable society, nature is not subject to systematically
increasing:
1.      concentrations of substances extracted from the Earth's crust;
2.      concentrations of substances produced by society;
3.      degradation by physical means
and, in that society. . .
4.      the ability for humans to meet their needs is not systematically
undermined.”
The Natural Step Framework

>From the State of Oregon’s Sustainability Act
"Sustainability means using, developing and protecting resources at a rate
and in a manner that enables people to meet their current needs and also
provides that future generations can meet their own needs. Sustainability
requires simultaneously meeting environmental, economic and community
needs."