Whenever I send emails or snail mail to representatives and senators, I usually get a reply. The replies are of two types: (1) a form letter that is related to the topic, but is simply a restatement of the congressperson's position, with commentary that is designed to persuade me to that position, and (2) a generic letter that is a thank you for my concern -- which might have been about anything on earth. Such epistles usually end with a statement as to the congressperson's great appreciation of me and my interests in his or her reelection (and please send money). I have no congressperson or senator I wish to see reelected.

I am interested in political history, and have read biographies of a number of the more powerful senators over the years. One of the most powerful ever, a man who was Franklin Roosevelt's protege, was Majority Leader of the Senate, and became president, employed a cadre of junior staffers to draft reply letters tailored to the constituent's concerns. He insisted that the reply had to be in the mail within a day of receipt of original letter. However, he personally never saw the reply. So, though we don't get that sort of "service" today, I'm not sure things are any worse than they were then.

The most important thing about letters to congress is the tally that staff members record, for or against a position, issue, or bill. Nuances are meaningless. I know this from acquaintance with congressional staff members and having worked in campaigns.

David McNeely