Over the past decade I have made it a point to listen to Hannity and
Limbaugh for the simple reason that it is a great way to be prepared
when a student or faculty member repeats their anti-environmental and
anti-science comments.  Despite some of their exceptionally radical and
moronic statements in the past, I had never turned the channel in mid-
rant until about a week ago.  Limbaugh went down a moronic path of
anti-science conspiracy that reached so far from any path to reality that
I am now convinced that this incident was staged by someone associated
with him or his copatriots.  So just a few days ago, I was watching an older
movie staring Frank Sinatra, Angela Lansbury, and Janet Ley...The Manturian
Candidate.  Lansbury plays a senator's wife who is secretly a communist
spy/simpathizer.  Her character has a reputation for calling out
communitists in a true Macarthian character whenever someone does not agree
with her/her husband's stance.  In one scene she is talking to her son about
another senator whom she has accused and wildly declared in public as a
communist.  I was very shocked as her oratory in this scene was undeniably
similar to several rants I have herd on Hannity, Limbaugh, and Beck.  This
brought me to consider something that I never had before.  WHAT IF these
folks are not just promoting conservative values (as they contend) or the
republican party (as their opponents contend)?.  WHAT IF their role is more
sinister and more in line with the Lansbury character in The Manchurian
Candidate?  Consider that our political system is based partly on an idea
that neither Republicans nor Democrats are EVIL.  These two parties have
different philosophies, and few people can state definitively that they
completely agree with every single platform or view of either party.   No
one is 100% conservative or liberal, and most fall into some version of a
moderate.  However, in listening to these various pundits you find that
there is only one thing they despise more than the opposing extreme, and
that is a pure moderate...in fact, they have been regularly attacking that
stance, and they do regularly present opposing parties as EVIL and their own
as GOOD.  THIS is completely wrong and destroys the political process, it
clearly destroys the fabric that holds the US's political system together.
 If one party is evil and the other good, regardless of whether you are
purely liberal or purely conservative then there is absolutely no reason to
listen to the opposing candidate's view or to consider what you actually
want or think about an issue, just pull the lever.  Furthermore, if voters
begin to take this approach, then there is much more opportunity for EVIL
people to take control of a country.  I suggest that we all need to
communicate publically that neither party is EVIL, they are simply different
people with different views on important subjects.  IF one is evil and the
other good, there can be no compromise and therefore the basis on which
american politics is built is destroyed.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:07 PM, David Inouye <ino...@umd.edu> wrote:

> From: Ben Santer <sant<
> http://groups.google.com/groups/unlock?_done=/group/geoengineering/browse_thread/thread/d3aec95a5f27fbb6&msg=8aab47682ab84454
> >....@llnl.gov>
> Date: Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:58 PM
> Subject: Open letter to the climate science community
>
> Dear colleagues and friends,
>
> I am sure that by now, all of you are aware of the hacking incident which
> recently took place at the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research
> Unit (CRU). This was a criminal act. Over 3,000 emails and documents were
> stolen. The identity of the hacker or hackers is still unknown.
>
> The emails represented private correspondence between CRU scientists and
> scientists at climate research centers around the world. Dozens of the
> stolen emails are from over a decade of my own personal correspondence with
> Professor Phil Jones, the Director of CRU.
>
> I obtained my Ph.D. at the Climatic Research Unit. I went to CRU in 1983
> because it was - and remains - one of the world's premier institutions for
> studying the nature and causes of climate change. During the course of my
> Ph.D., I was privileged to work together with exceptional scientists - with
> people like Tom Wigley, Phil Jones, Keith Briffa, and Sarah Raper.
>
> After completing my Ph.D. at CRU in 1987, I devoted much of my scientific
> career to what is now called "climate fingerprinting", which seeks to
> understand the causes of recent climate change. At its core, fingerprinting
> is a form of what people now call "data mining" - an attempt to extract
> information and meaning from very large, complex climate datasets. The
> emails stolen from the Climatic Research Unit are now being subjected to a
> very different form of "data mining". This mining is taking place in the
> blogosphere, in the editorial pages of various newspapers, and in radio and
> television programs. This form of mining has little to do with extracting
> meaning from personal email correspondence on complex scientific issues.
> This form of mining seeks to find dirt - to skew true meaning, to distort,
> to misrepresent, to take out of context. It seeks to destroy the
> reputations
> of exceptional scientists - scientists like Professor Phil Jones.
>
> I have known Phil for over 25 years. He is the antithesis of the secretive,
> "data destroying" character being portrayed to the outside world by the
> miners of dirt and disinformation. Phil Jones and Tom Wigley (the second
> Director of the Climatic Research Unit) devoted significant portions of
> their scientific careers to the construction of the land component of the
> so-called "HadCRUT" dataset of land and ocean surface temperatures. The
> U.K.
> Meteorological Office Hadley Centre (MOHC) took the lead in developing the
> ocean surface temperature component of HadCRUT.
>
> The CRU and Hadley Centre efforts to construct the HadCRUT dataset have
> [...]

Malcolm L. McCallum
Associate Professor of Biology
Managing Editor,
Herpetological Conservation and Biology
Texas A&M University-Texarkana
Fall Teaching Schedule:
Vertebrate Biology - TR 10-11:40; General Ecology - MW 1-2:40pm; Forensic
Science -  W 6-9:40pm
Office Hourse- TBA

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"  W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
           and pollution.
2000:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
         MAY help restore populations.
2022: Soylent Green is People!

contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not