Maybe somebody familiar with cave biology could tell us whether guano
deposits far from the mouths of caves are beset with fungus.
         On a similar note, the fungi raised underground by leaf-cutter ants
don't seem to mind the darkness.  But what about those luminescent fungi in
rotting wood?  Do they need light so bad they make their own? ;-)

          Martin Meiss