To all,

I'd like to thank everyone who sent in suggestions for marking green
salamanders so as to identify individuals during filmed encounters. I've
summarized the suggestions below and indicated our plans, for those
interested.

Four people suggested using dorsal patterns, either through photo
libraries or image analysis software. Two suggested using injectable
elastomers and two others suggested fluorescent powder; at least one
person for each of these indicated that they may be visible under red
lights (which we will use) and without using UV lighting. Two people
suggested the use of small rubber bands or hair bands, which apparently
can be placed around the body either behind the head, between the legs,
or near the legs. And finally, one person suggested supergluing ribbons
(or other small objects) onto the backs, which seems to have no adverse
effects.

Because of our needs (simplicity, the ability to follow the animal
easily as it moves, and the ability to sham mark if needed) we're trying
the superglue idea first. My student has created some paint dots and
glued them near the base of the tail. The retention rate is about 60-70%
thus far over 24 hours; however, the glue itself stays put even if the
dot does not, so we think we can follow the marked individual this way.
If this doesn't work well, we're going to try the rubber/hair bands,
using different colors or widths.

CAB
Chris Brown
Associate Professor