I assume it is a case of viewing an academic degree as the easiest way of
assessing knowledge and status.  Of course, there are many flaws with this
system:  successful academicians can be nitwits and frauds, and people
without certain diplomas make contributions to society that far outshine
those of many people with degrees.   In a hiring situation, where the
sponsors might be reviewing a dozen to a hundred candidates, looking deeper
into a person's background is feasible, but imagine trying to do so for the
many thousands of signers a petition drive typically seeks.  When you hear
someone utter the phrase "...the ol' sheepskin," it is a usually in the
context of an acknowledgement of this truth.  I expect that this contributes
greatly toward the survival of degree-granting institutions: people will pay
to earn a degree just so they can say they have a degree.  Don't expect much
support from academia in trying to earn recognition for achievements outside
of their walls.
          The denigrators of the Lake Baikal (or any other petition) would
love to be able to toss it off as a bunch of kooks, and the sponsors want to
be able to say that all signers meet the highest qualifications.  It's a
public relations battle, where issues will be decided based on phrases that
can fit on bumper stickers.  Warren, please don't take it personally, and
keep up the good work.
                Martin M. Meiss