Hello Everyone,

I am looking to get some advice on managing black locust
regeneration. I am studying grassland bird communities on reclaimed surface
mines in Pennsylvania.
As part of a manipulative research project, we cleared 100 plus acres of black
locust trees (most of which were planted about 3 meters apart). The trees (1-5
inches DBH) were chopped with a hydro-axe down to the stump during the winter
in order to protect grass cover and soil from being destroyed by the machines.
The locust are, of course,
going to resprout from the roots sometime this summer. We’re thinking about
hitting the new growth with some type of herbicide in August (after our data
collection is over for this summer).  We
could delay herbicide application until the fall if needed. We want to minimize
impact on the grass and forbs.

There’s a lot of information on the web, but most of it is
for ideal situations and best practices. Our situation, and timing of our
management efforts, was dictated by financial and logistical constraints.

 Does anyone out there have any experience controlling black
locust regrowth over a large area or in a situation similar to ours? I would
appreciate any and all feedback and suggestions about different herbicides and
timing and method of application pertinent to our situation. Thank you,

Jason Hill

 'Nothing in biology makes sense, except in the light of evolution'
--Theodosius Dobzhansky--

Jason Hill
221 Forest Resources Building
University Park, PA 16802-4705