Date:    Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:41:30 -0500
From:    "Bomar, Charles" <bom...@uwstout.edu>
Subject: biostats

Ok, this list has been very helpful in the past helping to design curricula.

I am the program director for emerging environmental science as well as a
pre-health science  program, and as all of you know, they need some statistics
in their diet.  They currently take a standard course offered by the Math
department, but this does not meet  the needs of the students.  Students taking
this stats course  will have had 1 if not 2 semesters of calculus, so they are
math capable.

So, if you we going to design a brand new biostats/statistics for the life
sciences course
    1) What text book(s)  would you recommend?
    2)   What are the core subset of skills/tests do you believe need to be
delivered in a course of this nature?
    3) what common use statistical software should the students be using?

I certainly have my own ideas for each of these questions but really want to
draw upon the list's experiences who skills are more current than mine. I am
also concerned about proper course design since some professional schools are
suggesting what contents should be covered in this course.

Any thoughts, ideas, or even syllabi people are willing to share are greatly
appreciated.

Charles R. Bomar PhD
Applied Science Program Director
Executive Director, Orthopterists' Society
Professor of Biology
University of Wisconsin-Stout
Menomonie, WI 54751
bom...@uwstout.edu