I think someone is being to bio-centric with the word species.  It
does not apply only to the living world.  Chemists can refer to a molecule
as being of a certain chemical species.
         It seems to me that if the alien beings are not all identical, they
must be amenable of classification, which is to say, a taxonomy.  If a
taxonomy is not to be purely mathematical, their must be taxa, and these
taxa must have names.  Would we want to come up with a whole new set to
replace "Kindom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species" for each
planet with lifeforms?  Indeed, perhaps all we need to is add a taxon above
kingdom representing the planet of origin, although this could be tricky if
a planet had more than one system of life, each without any ancestry in
common with the others.

               Martin M. Meiss