From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ecolo...@listserv.umd.edu] On Behalf Of James J. Roper
Sent: Thursday, 20 May, 2010 13:46
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Science and Religion Dogmatic conflict?

To reify the idea of a god and call it nature offers no explanation of
anything.  To say that there are other ways of knowing, rather than logic is
a trivial observation that things are sometimes discovered through insight -
and that insight normally comes about because the highly trained individual
was thinking a lot about it, but the answer didn't really pop out at them
until left to "digest." Additional ways of "knowing" all will have to be
tested logically.

It is easy to make up questions for which there are no answers.  That does
not make the question interesting. Moral questions are about how we get
along, and they can indeed be informed by logic as well as emotion.
 Finally, asking a why question implies that the question is sensible and an
answer exists.  I would propose that we may have no reason to think either.

Cheers,

Jim

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 15:33, Warren W. Aney <a...@coho.net> wrote:

> Why is there something rather than nothing?
> And why is some of this something aware of itself?
> And why is this self aware of the something?
> And why does it ask these questions?
>
> Are these questions best addressed by science or by religion?  Or do they
> represent some of the areas where science and religion interface and
> interconnect?
>
> Warren W. Aney
> Senior Wildlife Ecologist
> Tigard, Oregon

 ------------------------------
 James J. Roper, Ph.D. Ecology, Evolution and Population Dynamics
of Terrestrial Vertebrates
------------------------------
Caixa Postal 19034
81531-990 Curitiba, ParanĂ¡, Brasil
------------------------------
E-mail: jjro...@gmail.com
Telefone: 55 41 36730409
Celular: 55 41 98182559
Skype-in (USA):+1 706 5501064
Skype-in (Brazil):+55 41 39415715
Ecology and Conservation at the UFPR <http://www.bio.ufpr.br/ecologia/>
Home Page <http://jjroper.googlespages.com>
Ars Artium Consulting <http://arsartium.googlespages.com>
In Google Earth, copy and paste -> 25 31'18.14" S, 49 05'32.98" W